5 Health-Pawsitive Reasons to Celebrate Pals
Last month we had National Pet Week, last week was Pet Appreciation Week, and it got us thinking about all the reasons pals get these kind of shout outs. You know we need no excuse to praise our pals (and know you appreciate your buddy every day) but do you even really know why? It’s easy to love an animal for their adorable face but the truth is that having a pet in your life can have a variety of positive effects on your health, many of which you can’t even see. Here are 5 of our favorites:
- Pets can make us more social.
- Furry pals can reduce allergy development in children by as much as 33% and strengthens their immune system.
- Pets boost feel-good emotions and thwart depression and loneliness.
- Owning a dog can prompt exercise; a study of 2,000 adults found that those responsible for walking their dog exercised more and were less likely to be obese.
- Pet owners have lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels than non-pet owners.
So it’s true, pet’s really DO add life! And if you don’t believe us, the pet-loving experts, then go ahead and research it! Aside from the thousands of anecdotal stories of pals basically saving lives, there are plenty of fact-based findings that prove how good they are for us. So the next time you go to pet, treat, or walk your animal – today and every day – just remember all the favors they’re [unknowingly] doing for you, too!
Walks. Treats. Being brushed. Car rides. Floor cuddles. An extra long fetch session… What are some your favorite ways to show your pet they’re appreciated? Share with us!