Cat Health Month: Because Cats Can’t Take Care of Themselves!
February marks Cat Health Month, a reminder to show the love you have for your cat by keeping them as healthy and as happy as can be. The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) says dogs visit the vet an average of 1.5 times per year while cats averaged less than once; but just because cats visit the vet less than dogs doesn’t mean they naturally maintain better health. Here are some tips and things to look for to help you keep kitty in tip-top shape.
Routine Check-Ups. Nothing substitutes proper veterinary care; be sure to make your cat an appointment at least once a year or if you begin noticing abnormal behaviors.
- Keep an eye on their litter box to make sure they’re using it regularly and that their stool is consistently firm; if you notice your cat avoiding the litter box or irregular excrement for an extended amount of time, consult your veterinarian.
- Skin and Coat. Your cat’s skin and coat play a large part in reflecting their overall health. Their coat should be soft, smooth, rich in color, and free of flakes or matting.
- Dental Health. To help maintain optimal health, teeth should be free of tartar and plaque – you can check to see if these are developing by checking out their back teeth. Their gums should be bright pink and breath shouldn’t be noticeably off-putting. February is also Pet Dental Health Month, check with your veterinarian for discounted cleanings or to schedule a dental exam. But, in the meantime, consider an at-home regimen, like a twice-weekly cleaning with an oral spray or dental wipe.
- Your kitty’s energy and playfulness is a wonderful indicator of how they’re feeling – if you notice your usually-playful cat acting lethargic or out of character, consult your veterinarian.
- Be Prepared. Being prepared can be the difference between an injury and an emergency, so consider some safety and relief products, like a first aid kit, to help you help your cat at home.
Help us celebrate Cat Health Month by sharing a snap of your picture purrfect companion to our Facebook page!